Tuesday, October 16, 2012

#5 a clarification of a comment from 'The flight from conversation

     We have different attitudes toward different comments during the class discussion on the article, but there's one artical that we all agreed as "shallow","arrogant", "ostentatious". I somehow feel these judgements are unfair for the person, and I know that sometimes truth is miles away from what it appears to be.So I think it's necessary to clarify it a little bit,and use this as an example to show that it is both hard for us or robot to understand each other; and also to corroborate McCloud's view:"we all live in a profound isolation. No other human being can ever know what it's like to be you from the inside.". I also want to use this as an example tp show that how important the "logical skill" of writing and expressing can be in human life. Below is the comment cited by Christine Coppola:

  • Jonathan Wolfson
  • New York
The reason people always wear headphones is because there is a tantalizing amount of things to listen to. Spotify allows listening to millions of songs. Awesome podcasts. Millennia of YouTube videos. How can we not be always listening to what is there? The only way I would prefer to converse with a human is if he or she justifies it. But if the nature of the conversation is shallow, irritating, full of yawns, redundant, or spammy, listening to what's playing in the cloud is more worth my time. People have to justify themselves by being more interesting and worth listening to than what I can get through my headphones.

     Judging merely from the content, this is indeed this kind of angry, self-centered, cynical youth that who considers people around him as ignorant and boring, and who doesn't give a shit about conversation etiquette.But, is it really the truth? Sure, indeed, he could be an annoying person that has several traits listed above, but for most of the time, truth is really not like that.

     I know several people like this, who go extremes in comments, write very angry articles and use furious words when express their views. At first I do tend to hate this kind of person,for who the hell do they think they are? But when I get to know them, I realize that most of them are actually very sensitive, timid, lonely and warmhearted.They are more than willing to help when you ask them a favor,and they would try very hard to solve your problem.It is almost like they are yelling to the world that "you see?! I'm not an unwanted, I'm not a ne'er-do-well! I'm useful, I'm needed! I can also make other people feel happier through my own efforts!" I used to meet a girl during high school,who acts very coldly and seems to disdain everything,always make extreme and arrogant like the example I used here. Almost all the students hate her, me included.And she doesn't seem to give a damn about others, come and go freely all the time. I somehow got to know her under a pure coincidence( I won't detail everything here, it's a long story, and not interesting or romantic at all) and discovered that she's the most innocent,candid, humorous and nice person I've never met in my life...

    Then some people may ask, well,since you claim that some of them are very nice in nature,then why should they act in this way and bring people around to hate them? I just want to say three words to whoever would ask such a question, that 'you are lucky'.You are a happy, normal person for whom the problem of getting involved in social relationship does not disturbe you at all.There are all kinds of people in this world,some are just happier and more comfortable than others while some are doomed to be loners and feel awkward.Such a quality works the same way as talents on painting or music,and for those people,such a talent is a gift they have yet to receive.

    The society does have to function as a whole, and people are expected to make friends and have real conversations.For some this is an enjoyable thing, but for others,even to fullfill the very fundamental conversation/communication in daily life can turn out to be a huge challenge.I can still remember my only bed-wetting experience in kindergarten, I was wide awake, I was dying to go to the washroom but I was too terrified to tell the teacher.And finally I decided I couldn't hold any longer and better let things be. This personal experience shows vividly how strong such a flaw in people's character can influence a person's decision and behaviour. But I'm still different from the youth in the example above, since I do not feel troubled of being alone and I'm a highly rational person for most of time.But for people who have this flaw in their personality and who are also longing for a real conversation and understanding of others, tranvesty can happen————Instead of reaching out actively, they would choose to go opposite position: become more cold in the appearance, show less interests in other people and try to persuade him/herself that others do not worth their attention; diliberately use extreme/radical language to gain a sense of existence or to attract a little bit more attention, meanwhile to make others believe that they do not care and they have better doings. They disguise themself as 'demons',try very hard to persuade themself to believe that 'It's better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven' even when they do have an angel's heart and a strong craving for heaven. By doing so, they won't feel so hurt and they could 'lie' to themselves that such a result is out of their own freewill.Afterall, no one wants to be a loser and no one wants to admit failure.

     I guess what I'm trying to say is that, human is such an intelligent, advanced and emotional creature, this also means it's appearance(on language,behaviour,facial expression etc.) can be very misleading. I always try to maintain an unbiased attitude when gossipe with others concerning people that I don't know very well, not because I'm a coward or I'm trying to be a goody-goody, it's just because I know how the truth can be different. Sometimes what hides behind the coarse、cold shell is just a lonely, fragile soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment