This is not what one would call a "scholarly book", but I do have learned a lot from it. A person who doesn't smoke can never understand the joy that smoking brings. It is easy to collect scientific data and do control-group experiments, but what smoking really brings to smokers can never be precisely assessed. Now the technology is developing faster and faster, our transportation and communication is also becoming faster and faster, but the distance between people is growing larger and larger. It is no one's fault, it is how things work out. Individuals are growing more and more lonely in this world with a great abundance of material, meanwhile the vanity of heart is becoming more and more intolerable. Cigarette has become the loyal sole company for them. It is normal that different people have different attitudes toward smoking, since human is a very ambivalent species and tobacco is a very ambivalent plant(like I mentioned in blog#2). When these two come together, a clear and logical conclusion just cannot be made. However, this is forever a monodrama. No matter what we say and think about tobacco, it just stays silent. Stay silent when it is lying under the sun with its green leaves or when it is burned into ash in red sparkles."What care I for the weather? Though winter greeze, or summer broil. We rest us from the days of toil, my Pipe and I together."(Hermann Rave 69)
Knight, Joseph, b. 1845.Pipe and pouch, the smokers own book of poetry. Boston: Joseph Knight company, 1895. Print
No comments:
Post a Comment